Villasimius lies on the most southern point of the east coast of Sardinia, and on the west bank of the Foxi River which flows into the waters of the Carbonara Gulf. Established in 1812 close to the ancient inhabited area of Carbonara from which it took its name, it was then changed to its present one. Its main attraction and source of revenue is its splendid coastline consisting of silvery beaches bathed by a crystalline sea giving the name of Villasimius international fame. It’s no wonder therefore, that on the southern side of the Capo Carbonara promontory we can find a small tourist port.
The beauties of this territory are, furthermore enhanced by the marine park founded in 1998 denominated "Protected Marine Area of Capo Carbonara" characterised by a singular combination of uncontaminated ecosystems: on one hand the marine part and on the other the lake part with the “stagno di Notteri”. In fact, the lighthouse on the “Isola dei Cavoli”, built in the second half of the 1800’s is today the seat of a centre of Research of the University of Cagliari.
Villasimius however, is not only nature but also culture. We must remember the Old Fortress, built around the XIV century A.D. in the vicinity of Capo Carbonara today used as an Archaeological Museum. The Tower of Porto Giunco, on the other hand, dates back to the XVI century. Finally, we must remember the tower of San Luigi built on thesmall island of Serpentara. Evidence of the abundant wealth of this territory is the Usai Quarry, established in the second half of the 1800’s and active until the 1950’s for granite mining.
Finally, we recommend the singular village fete of the “Madonna del Naufrago” shich usually takes place the third Sunday of July with a procession by boat to an island “Isola dei Cavoli”. Its peculiarity lies in the fact that the statue the followers go to worship in suffrage of the sailors lost at sea around the island, is sunken at 10m depth.