Agricultural centre of upper Valtellina since 1355, the fief of the Venosta had since the 1600’s, an important connection with Venice through the Mortirolo pass. The area was inhabited in the prehistoric era, as the rock engravings dating back to 2200-1000 B.C. bear witness. Here, on the occasion of particular festivities, the women wear traditional costumes of the seventeenth century, to demonstrate their durable relationship with the past, that can still be felt today strolling along the beautiful streets of the village. From Grosio, seat of a big hydroelectric plant, you can reach the wonderful Valgrosina in a natural untouched environment.
Places of interest: Park of the rock engravings – Castle of San Faustino and Visconti Venosta Castle - Dosso Giroldo – the hamlets of Ravoledo, Vernuga and Tiolo - Visconti Venosta Villa, home of the civic museum and the municipal library – Church of San Giuseppe and Church of San Giorgio (XII - XV) – Hydroelectric plants of Grosio and Grosotto - Val Grosina, districts of Fusino, Eita and Malghera – Valley of Eita and Avedo, Valley of Sacco, Pedruna Valley - The “Vecc Carnival” with carnival floats and historic costumes.